Connor's puzzle piece!

Connor's puzzle piece!
Connor is a "Racing for Autism" hero!

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Getting on with it...

So after crying for two days, yesterday was the "okay it's happened, now we need to just get on with it" day. I've had such amazing support from people here who are reassuring me that this is just a blip and we will sell our house and be on our way before we know it. I wish I could be that optimistic but it's lovely to have people trying to keep me positive and focused. I snapped on the rubber gloves yesterday and started upstairs and will work my way down. I guess I'll call it "spring cleaning" so that I don't feel so deflated. Remember I'm trying to stay positive about all of this!! One of my wonderful friends offered to come around and help me clean, how amazing, but I actually found it therapeutic to scrub the hell out of my bathroom!! I know at some point I will have to lean on people for help and that is really hard for me, I'm just too damn stubborn.

Last night was supposed to be my girlies night out to say farewell as I was supposed to be boarding a plane on April 1st. I was, obviously, not up for it after what happened so my lovely friend Jan organized Chinese food and beer at hers last night instead while we watched the Comic Relief coverage on BBC. Not sure the viewing choice was the best as it's a fundraising event held every two years in the U.K. and interspersed with the comedy are clips from both the U.K. and Africa showing people living in and dealing with horrendous situations. How can you not give money, if you can afford to, to people after seeing their stories?? So tears were shed but tears that put things into perspective. Yes I didn't sell my house and my move is delayed, but my family is healthy, we have a roof over our heads, and we have wealth at our disposal. So many others just don't and it's shocking that we live in a world that can allow people to live in abject poverty, and in despicable conditions like was broadcast last night. Okay, I'll get down off my soapbox now!

I had another lovely thing happen yesterday that showed me just how lucky I am! Every day I walk my dog, Oscar, up to school with the kids and after dropping everyone off I head to the park with Jan, and Benson, and our regular doggy walking crowd that converge on the park daily. When I came out after dropping Delsin off, the usual suspects were present and I suddenly found myself surrounded by all these lovely people and their canine friends. Jan, seeking revenge after I embarrassed her on her birthday in said park (LOL), presented me with a wonderful photo of Oscar along with all his fellow canine friends and their humans from the past 3 years of park walking. What a joy to have this picture and once again the tears flowed. Oscar is still leaving next week, with Schat-the-cat, so Friday was his last regular morning in the park. I felt truly loved and I now have a wonderful memento of a daily ritual that was a huge part of my life here in Bicester.

So despite a crappy week, I know that I have found some wonderful people during my time here and know that there are many more happy memories to take back to Canada than the current frustrating events. I am one lucky lady.

So trying to stay positive and just get on with it! Canada is still there waiting for me and my family, it's just going to take a bit longer than I thought.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. If I ever need anything to cheer me up, I need to look no further than here ---------->

The kids after their latest haircut last weekend!
Oscar after his last grooming session with Sandra!


Love to all,
Laura :o)





No comments: